On this page I will attempt to link to work that I helped to create, either in most cases as part of a team, or solely by my own efforts. I have attempted some categorization and may change my mind on that later.
My first presentations date back to 2014, when I did some internal presentations, as well as a small paper and a teacher handbook, around the first results of MOOCs. I also attended a Coursera Conference panel on how to deal with negativity in courses in London in that year. I presented at several annual Coursera Conferences after that until that went out of style (and their conferences became solely marketing oriented). I have also presented at several communication seminars. Those have lost most of their usefulness, but if you are curious contact me and I can provide them. Below some of my more recent presentations and productions for which there is a paper trail or media recording.
Video & Podcasting
These productions were all made in collaboration with the mediateam of Centre for Innovation and I credit them with the quality of the production.
- A decade of making MOOCs: relaunch of the Terrorism MOOC – a livestreamed talkshow, in which I took the role of producer, with my fantastic media team covering the tech bits and the director’s role. About making MOOCs for the last decade, and how it connects to Leiden University (digital) strategy. (April 2022)
- Experiencing Education in 2020 – a documentary that I co-directed on how Leiden University survived Education in 2020, with some focus on the support staff. (Jan 2021)
- A Very Mindful Podcast: Green Spaces.
- Five Stage Model – part of the training of moderator volunteers, explaining Gilly Salmons’ 5 stage module, and the role of the moderator.
- Trolls & Haters – part of the training of moderator volunteers, explaining the fenomena.
- Why is Emoderation Important? – part of the training of moderator volunteers, the basic reasons for moderation
- The Mindful Garden – what is possible to increase biodiversity at Leiden University? The green musketeers of Centre for Innovation made this garden possible.
- Online Study Tips – a summary of what was once the academic toolkit, in use by the Leiden MOOCs. (Script and concept by myself, voice over the wonderful Cameron Hope).
MOOCs and other digital workshops
- In 2021-2022 there have been evaluation sessions and focusgroups, building on previous experience.
- Digital Events: Orientation – do you need a digital event? What comes into it? How can you pitch it to management?
- Digital Events: Deliberate Design – how can you create engagement and interactivity? What platform should you use?
- Digital Events: Organizing – practical advice on betatesting, promoting your event and running it.
- Build Your Own Online Community – a self guided training on how to create and maintain online communities.
- Moderate Your Online Community – a self guided training on how to moderate your online communities.
- Moderating Training for Kaltura Live Rooms and MS Teams (Sept 2020) – webinar with team (only accessible to Leiden University Staff)
- Remote Teaching: onboarding your students to online learning (April 2020)- webinar with Annemieke van den Bijllaardt (only accessible to Leiden University Staff)
- In the period 2020-2021 there have been several design thinking and evaluation sessions.
- A year of Playful Learning with Daniek Bosch (March 2022)
- 10 years of MOOCs in Education: why MOOCs still prove relevant to our university today with Leontine van Melle (February 2022)
- 10 years of MOOCs in Education: from hype to resurgence with Leontine van Melle (February 2022)
- Inspiration from Board Games (August 2021)
- Defining Playful Learning (May 2021)
- How to choose between online, offline and hybrid teaching (April 2021)
- Reflections from our Digital Education Seminar: Education Challenges in 2021 ( March 2021)
- Put to the test: insights from our Digital Education Seminar (March 2021)
- What is productivity when working from home? (March 2021)
- New Documentary: Experiencing Education in 2020 (February 2021)
- Advanced: Digital Conferences 2020 and beyond (Oct 2020)
- Moderation Handbook, v 6.0 (Sept 2020)
- How to moderate your online community (June 2020)
- How to build an engaged community (May 2020)
- Update: Advanced Remote Living (April 2020)
- Top Tips for Remote Conferencing (April 2020)
- Managing An Online Community: do you need a Troll Control plan? (March 2020)
- Top Tips for Remote Working (March 2020)
- Top Tips for Virtual Meetings (March 2020) – with Annemieke van den Bijllaardt
- Healthy Working Habits: Creating Mindful Green Spaces (Oct 2019) – with Thomas Ginn and Monique Snijders
- Creating Green Spaces in the University (Oct 2019) – with Thomas Ginn and Monique Snijders
- Facilitating Online Discussions For Effective Online Learning (Sept 2019) – with Annemieke van den Bijllaardt
- The World of Trolls & Haters – Survival kit for academics travelling outside the Ivory Tower into the Cyberworld. (2018)
Games & Communities
Some of the games and game resource sites I worked on are no longer live, so I provide no link to them, but you can contact me if they are of interest to you. I do not list the games that I did not help found.
- We are busy developing a forcasting game using roleplaying techniques. Our first experiment was on the topic of the metaverse in education. Not yet finished enough to share big scale, but promising methodology. (winter 2022)
- Teaching@Science, peer to peer teaching community of the faculty Science, find us using the code l15e4ie (March 2021)
- Leiden Sustainability Network (Sept 2020)- delivered support for LUGO, exclusive for Leiden staff on MS Teams, code ls7a021
- Age of Intrigue – Play by Post forum roleplaying game, using the setting of the English Restoration’s Court (2006-2018, aprox 20 players)
- Tazlure – Play byPost forum roleplaying game in homebrew fantasy game setting ( 2001 -2009, aprox 200-400 players)
- Amethyst Alliance IRPG, RPG resource site including the ezine Amethyst Circle (1998-2002)